Ramblings of a bookaholic.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

On 12:21 PM by psykoticKitten   No comments
Welcome to my second Opinion/Discussion post!

Title:  Greywalker
Author:  Kat Richardson

I just finished this book this past Wednesday during a rather large storm.  It was perfect considering the part I was reading also had a storm going on.  Anyway, I found Greywalker to be suspenseful, confusing at times, adrenaline pumping, unbelievable, and sucky (and not in the way that you think) all at the same time.

[SPOILER ALERT]

So this is the part where I divulge some information that may or may not be too revealing.

Our main character is Harper Blaine - a dancer turned private investigator.  She is attacked while working a case and dies (but only for a little while).  She comes back with super powers!  Kind of.  She notices that she keeps seeing things from different time periods and that aren't really there.  She is referred to a couple (Ben and Mara Danziger) who dabble in the paranormal and tell her she is a Greywalker (more on that in the book).  Her life pretty much changes from there.

While trying to come to grips with her new abilities, Harper takes on two cases that will really change her life forever.  The first is a missing persons case and the second is to find a missing item.  Her missing persons case draws her even more into the paranormal since the person she found is a vampire.  Enter Cameron.  Since he is now found and no longer a missing person, he hires Harper to get in contact with his maker (Edward).  She is supposed to convince him to take Cameron back under his wing or assign another vampire to be the new vampire's mentor.

The story only gets weirder and more intense from there.

That is all I will give you right now.  If you have read Greywalker and have some things to add, leave a comment and I will do a follow-up post.  But for now... here are my thoughts on this book.

I thought the story was great.  It kept me wanting more with every new twist and turn.  At the beginning of this post I put that I found Greywalker to be suspenseful, confusing at times, adrenaline pumping, unbelievable, and sucky.  Let me explain some of these:

I found some parts confusing, not because of the writing, but because it was hard for me to keep track of and understand some of the paranormal based conversations - that's more of a personal problem I suppose but there you go.

I also found some parts to be unbelievable.  Now I know what you're thinking (maybe).  Well duh!  Of course it's unbelievable!  It's a fictional story written for entertainment purposes.  What I mean is that I found those unbelievable parts to be like, "Oh my gosh!  That is unbelievable how Will could just be like that with Harper!"  (Curious about Will?  Huh?  Huh...?)

Lastly... sucky.  Yes I found the book a little sucky.  Okay so maybe not the book but the main character's situation.  I mean poor Harper goes through a lot!  She is thrown into situations that are less than convenient and scary as hell.  All she wants is to grasp on to a little piece of normalcy.  A piece of humanity.  Unfortunately that is not an option for her.  At least not in this book.

All in all... I liked the book.  I would definitely read the second book in the series - after I read the current stack of books I have that is.

Some exciting extras!

I want to start posting some short stories and poetry here at EP Book Nerd!  But I can't do it alone.  (Cue Audience:  Awwww....)  If you have any short stories and/or poems you would like to share with the world, submit them to submit@epbooknerd.com.  I will not take credit for anything that isn't mine so if you submit it, you will receive full credit for your work.  Also, please don't submit something that isn't 100% yours (unless it was a team effort and all members are credited).

Recap:

Submit your short story and/or poem to submit@epbooknerd.com with "Submit Short Story" or "Submit Poem" in the subject line.  Include your name, short bio, and the link to your website/blog (if you have one) in the body.

 

My Rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment